Create the Quality of life you want

Welcome! My name is Todd Burrier. Over two decades ago I was blessed to have been laid off in the banking industry during a time of economic upheaval. This led me to search for a way to have more control over my own future. I wound up in the home business world. After seven hard years of lessons and personal growth, I found a way to build a highly successful business from home, using some very basic and simple human principles. I have since been able to mentor many people on the path to a better life through creating a home based income stream. This blog is dedicated to helping anyone in a networking style business succeed. I will be sharing proven concepts for growing and leading a successful business. Anyone who is nice, honest, and committed to succeeding can do what I teach. If there are any topics you specifically would like me to address as we go along, just let me know. To comment on any posting mouse over next to the time of the post.

Search This Blog

Friday, March 4, 2011

Focus?!

How did one little word get to be so difficult? Focus should be easy right? We turn our attention to something and block out everything else...no problem....if it were only that easy huh?

I mean certainly it's easy to focus on stuff we LOVE to do or that we are incredibly interested in at the moment. When we're watching a really good movie or playing a video game we don't have to think about focusing. We just do it.

In other words...its easy to focus (for the most part) when it comes to things we want to do....but when it comes to things we have to do? This is a challenge...because we are surrounded by choices and distractions.

Distractions, or maybe a better word is diversions, are everywhere. As I sit here and type this, I have a cell phone next to me which is recieving texts and calls, I have another phone that is recieving calls, I have an email that is calling to me to read it, I have a day planner with 20 other tasks in front of me, and I have an active mind that is trying to take me from one thought stream into 50 others. And this is just what I am doing to myself as I sit in one spot!!!

Distractions are just the tiny issue in the focus war....relationship dynamics, health, emotions, stressors, desires, responsibilities, life roles, priorities, fears....oh...I could probably go on for a little while here...but the point is that there is alot more going on that can make it difficult to focus.

This barrage of positive and negative stimulation can be so overwhelming that many people simply retreat and focus on nothing but medicating...they medicate with the TV, or the internet, or with substances, or food..in other words they try to feel better by ignoring, but the long run result is they feel emotionally and physically worse!!!

I talk about procrastination in my book "Live Full, Live Well." It is a joy stealer. Typically procrastination is doing what we want to do instead of what we have to do....why doesn't matter. BUT even while we are doing the thing we want to do...the thing that we have to do is nagging at our minds...reducing the fun from the thing we chose to do instead....so now we are losing twice!!!

To succeed in life we need to focus!!!! Do the thing you have to do. Forget the ringing phone, forget the email, forget the text, don't worry about tomorrow...do the thing you have to do right now. Plan what needs to get done, then systematically do it. Plan in your priorities. Your health, relationships, business. Stick to your plan and everything will work it's way out. Don't let the false anxieties of today's world drive you out of focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment